I have always liked country-fried steak. I have had it at many restaurants, and have not found one that I really do not like. The thing with having country-fried steak at a restaurant, is that you do not know what is in the batter or how healthy it is for you.
With making it at home, you are able to control what is in it. If you can control the ingredients that go into your food, then you can control how much of a certain thing you are eating. You can control the salt, the fat and much more.
I have learned that you can make any meal that you want, you just need to learn how to portion it out. Smaller portions make a diet and eating healthier become more successful. This is the other downfall of having country-fried steak at a restaurant.
I made mine with a mushroom gravy, but you can also make it with onions. You could also do a home-style cream gravy. If you do the home-style gravy, make sure that you are not using as much as it adds more calories. Here is a healthier way to make country-fried steak at home.
4 tablespoons skim milk
2 egg whites
10 tablespoons flour, divided
3 tablespoons cajun seasoning
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup water
1 beef bouillon cube
1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper
1. Whisk together milk and egg whites in a shallow dish. Place 7 tablespoons flour in a separate dish. Season both sides of the steaks with the cajun seasoning.
2. Dip the steak into the milk mixture, then dredge both sides in flour.
3. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add steaks; saute to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and tent with foil to keep warm.
4. Add remaining oil to skillet. Add the mushrooms; saute until they begin to brown. Sprinkle with the remaining flour; cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in ketchup and Worcestershire. Add the water and beef bouillon. Bring to a boil. Simmer until sauce reduces, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve over steak and enjoy!
Leave a message and let me know what you though of the dish.