I love potatoes au gratin, but they are not the best side dish for you. This dish is typically filled with heavy cream, butter, and a ton of cheese. I have found a way to help get that craving out of the way, but not cause you to break a diet or feel guilty. And please do not let the low-fat discourage you from trying this great dish, because it still has a great cheesy taste that can satisfy you. And on top of everything, it is simple to make and it is quick. Perfect for dinner after a long day at work.
If you would like to make it gluten free, use cornstarch instead of flour.
Serving Size: 4-6
1 pound of Yukon gold potatoes.
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup gruyere cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray or butter the pan.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour with a whisk to make a paste. Cook for 1 minuet.
5. Gradually whisk in both milks and simmer. Make sure to whisk constantly until thickened.
6. Remove from heat and whisk in the pepper, salt (to taste), and half the cheese.
7. Pour the sauce over the potatoes. Toss to coat all the potatoes.
8. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese.
9. Bake for 10 minuets. Then switch the oven to broil and allow the cheese to brown.
10. Let rest for 10 minuets and serve.
Give this a try and leave a comment to let me know what you thought.