Although, we are looking at a cake, it is healthier than most. It does not have the typical frosting that most cakes have. This is a fresh and tasty cake that is great to have in the summer time. I first made this with the chicken teriyake and orzo.
Serves: 10-12 people
½ cup vegetable shortening
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ cup ground blanched almonds
¼ cup toasted almond slices
1. Cream shortening in large bowl with electric mixer.
2. Gradually add honey, beating until light and fluffy.
3. Add orange zest.
4. Add one egg at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
5. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Fold in to creamed mixture. Mix until blended.
6. Add ground almonds: mix well.
7. Grease two 8 inch cake pans; pour in cake batter. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30 minuets.
8. Cool for 10 minuets in fridge.
9. Frost with honey whipped cream; garnish with toasted almonds and serve.
Honey Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream
3 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Beat heavy whipped cream until soft peaks form.
2. Gradually add honey
3. Fold in vanilla
4. Frost the cake with the honey whipped cream.
Make sure to keep this cake cold and in the fridge when you are not eating it. This will make it so that the whipped cream frosting will stay firm and on the cake.
This dessert is a nice way to start the summer off. Leave a comment and let me know what you think of the cake.