This is a great side salad for any dish. I serve this with my chicken teriyaki and orzo. You can also grill some chicken and make it an entree.
Serving Size: 6 people
6 C. romaine salad
¼ C. bacon, sliced and cooked
1/2 cucumber sliced
2 carrots shredded
½ C. orange juice
¼ C. canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
Fresh ground pepper
1. Prepare romaine in a bowl.
2.Add bacon, cucumber, and carrots.
3.To prepare vinaigrette, mix orange juice, oil, garlic, sugar, and vinegar.
4.Pour vinegar on salad and lightly toss.
5. Add pepper and serve.
Ingredients for Crackers:
8 Tbsp. butter softened
2 C. all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
½ C. water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolk and mix well.
3. Add enough of the water to form dough that will hold together in a cohesive ball. (The texture will be somewhat crumbly, but the dough will hold together when pressed).
4. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions for rolling. On a floured surface, roll each into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out individual crackers about 2 inches across. Arrange them on an ungreased baking sheet.
5. Prick each cracker 2 or 3 times with the tines of a fork. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn the crackers over and bake another 5 to 10 minutes, or until medium brown.
6. Cool and serve 2 per person.
If you are not a fan of romaine lettuce give this a try with any other one you prefer.
Leave a comment and let me know how it turns out for you!